Update: March, 2017
The best carpet cleaner reviews 2017
Choosing a carpet shampooer can be confused if you don’t know the technical specifications of the machines. However, if you know what are your cleaning requirements, then we can help you to figure out the best carpet cleaner that fits your criteria.
There are a dozen of factors incorporate in a carpet cleaner such as motor power, water tank design, heated cleaning, pressurized water spray, auto-rinse function, carpet cleaner for pet messes and more. To understand details about a carpet cleaner’s parameters and how to choose the best one, you can read our instruction below.
Or, if you are in a hustle, check our top rated carpet cleaner/ carpet shampooer for home use list below. We have analyzed biggest carpet cleaner manufacturers like Bissell, Hoover, Rug Doctor…to bring out the best carpet cleaning machine list for each type and design. Check them out to save your time.
Top-Rated Carpet Cleaner for Regular Home Use List 2017
The best carpet cleaner, carpet shampooer reviews for regular use 2017
Recommended for regular cleaning, the most affordable
The Hoover FH50150 Carpet Basics Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Cleaner is the sell monster of Hoover brand, which has placed as No.1 Best Seller on Amazon (Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning Equipment) for consecutive years.
This Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150 is the best “All-in-one” carpet cleaner that stands as the No.1 best seller for 4 years, before the introducing of Rug Doctor Deep Cleaner into the market. This upright carpet cleaner is a high performing model that is suitable for casual carpet cleaning tasks, area and spot cleaning tasks, pet messes and upholstery cleaning.
Highlighting features of this Hoover FH50150 includes
- Affordable price than Rug Doctor Deep Cleaner
- Powerful motor (10 amps), indicating the suction and cleaning power is extremely high
- Lightweight (18.1 lbs, this is also one of the lightest upright carpet cleaner on the market)
- Easy to use and well designed
- Automatic detergent mixing tank the machine will mix cleaning formula with water itself.
- Long power cord (20.ft), this carpet cleaning machine is very versatile to clean in big area.
- 2 year limited warranty time
Other interesting features such as counter rotating brush heads, rinse/wash control switch, hand tools, upholstery tool and carpet fast drying time.
Besides, the proven cleaning results of this Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150 can be seen from being the best seller for last few years.
Comparison between Hoover FH50150 and Rug Doctor Deep Cleaner
The Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150 can be regarded as a side-by-side competitor to Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner in terms of regular cleaning. If you are dealing with floor carpets and rugs, upholstery cleaning, stair cleaning Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150 is a better choice because it is cheaper than the one from Rug Doctor
On the other hands, if you need to tackle heavily soiled carpet, Rug Doctor Deep Cleaner will save your time. With Rug Doctor model, you just only need to clean 1 stroke for carpet embedded with dirt, but you might need to clean 2-3 stroke with Hoover FH50150 model to achieve the similar cleaning performance.
Pros and Cons of Hoover FH50150 Carpet Basics Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Cleaner
- The “all-in-one” upright carpet cleaner that works efficiently
- Easy to use and to clean after use
- Best in price
- The sprayer sometimes delivers the cleaning detergent unevenly on the surface.
Carpet cleaner recommended for spot & upholstery cleaning – Best Choice under $100
The Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner is one of the most robust and compact portable carpet cleaner on the market that delivers deep cleaning (not many portable carpet cleaning machine can do deep cleaning, but only surface cleaning) that will recover your carpet from tough spots, stains from carpets, stairs, upholstery and more.
This small but powerful carpet cleaner is designed as a single unit that is every easy to use therefore you do not need to worry about machine’s installations at all. Aimed for small area deep cleaning, the Bissell portable carpet cleaner comes along with a wide range of handtools, 3 inch tough stain brush (for small spot cleaning), 6 inch stair tool for stair and upholstery cleaning. If you are a pet owner, this Spotclean Pro will save your time from cleaning the pet messes and smells.
Highlighting features of Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner
- The machine comes in a compact, fully established model
- Long hose (5 flex hose) and long power cord, easy for maneuvering and auto-detailing
- Stair tools, spot removal tools and Deep cleaning formula (8 ounces) included
- Bigger water tank size so you do not need to replace the water often
- 2 years limited warranty time
- 17 pounds
Pros & cons Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner – Corded
The Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner is easy to use, robust, compact, easy to store and affordable, it has always been rated as one of the best portable carpet cleaner on the market, even it has been there for many years.
Like any portable carpet cleaner, the flex hose will accumulate the dirt over time. Therefore, you should clean the hose carefully. The remained dirt inside the hose can make it becoming fragile after some years.
Carpet cleaner for deep cleaning results, fast drying time, best for room cleaning
If you are looking for a full-size commercial upright carpet cleaner that can deliver professional cleaning results as those from rental units with an affordable price so you can save time and budget over years, this Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro Carpet Deep Cleaner, FH50220 is one of the high-end carpet shampooers that will serve you perfectly.
Currently this is the No.1 Best Seller in commercial carpet cleaner directory. This upright carpet cleaner outruns others because Hoover has optimized the machine for deep cleaning in a shorter cleaning time. The Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro Carpet Deep Cleaner, FH50220 is incorporated with new technologies and features.
Highlighting features of Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro Carpet Deep Cleaner, FH50220
- Professional cleaning performance
- Faster carpet drying time (3-4h generally for floor carpet)
- Superior brush head activities
- Lightweight (compared to other commercial models)
Hoover has incorporated most of the latest technologies into the Max Extract models, includes
- DualV Nozzle Technology (Hoover uses this new technology for MaxExtract line) enables the machine will recover more dirty water back to the water tank. Less water on the carpet, it will dry faster. Regarding carpet drying time, users claimed this Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro Carpet Deep Cleaner, FH50220 can let the carpet dry within 3-4 hours (normal upright carpet cleaner can take up to 8-2 hours)
- Pressurized edge to edge cleaning technology employs pressurized heated water to loosen the dirt easier. Normal upright carpet cleaner just only sprays the detergent mix on the carpet, this machine is going to the higher level.
- The brush head is improved by using 60 counter rotating brush head. The spinning activities of a lot of brushes will contact with each carpet fiber so it will remove the dirt deeply
- Auto conversion tools will help you to adjust the carpet cleaner spraying or cleaning regime easily. This button is set at the fingertips.
- Smart water tank design. Like any new upright carpet cleaner on the market, this carpet cleaner also uses 2 tank system to store clean and dirty water separately so you can discharge dirty water without any hassle.
Pros and Cons of Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro Carpet Deep Cleaner, FH50220
- The Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro Carpet Deep Cleaner, FH50220 delivers professional cleaning results with an accepted price
- The machine is made with premium plastic that won’t break or leak easily
- The carpet drying time is speed up and the cleaning time will reduced due to large cleaning path
- This commercial carpet cleaner is perhaps the best design of Hoover and later version of MaxExtract line is only modified a bit to target different end user’s need
- This is also rated as one of the best carpet cleaner for pet messes treatment
- Buyers asked Hoover to have additional brush head for hard surface which they think will add more value to the machine.
- Also, some users mentioned this carpet cleaner requires some basic installments before using.
Carpet cleaner for professional cleaning results, for bigger areas or heavily soiled traffic
The Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner Machine is the one that you can find at rental units because this monster carpet cleaner is designed for deep cleaning, robust and persistent for years of wide area cleaning.Currently, this commercial carpet shampooer receives highest rating in all aspects from users nationwide. They claimed that this is the only model that worthy to invest in long term.
The differences between Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner Machine and others is that it could clean thick, shaggy carpet deeply, while major carpet cleaners (upright version and commercial version may fail to clean such kind of shaggy carpet). So, if your floor is covered by loop carpet, uncut carpet or tile carpet, an upright carpet cleaner will do the job easily. On the other hands, if you floor is covered by shaggy carpet, hard surface carpet with higher traffic frequency, the Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner Machine will save your time, labor and cleaning cost in long term.
Highlighting features of Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green
- Clean faster and deeper than any carpet cleaner at rental units, claimed by Bissell.
- Rotating dirt-lifter powered brushes. Bissell uses a motor within the brush unit to enable deep cleaning by the suction power of the motor. Only this Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner Machine has the powered brush on the market so far.
- Big, adjustable water tank for big area cleaning without changing the water
- Long hose, long power cord and accessories (stain tools, upholstery tools) for optimal cleaning results at any surface.
- Easy to use as it is already established
- Professional Cleaning Formula from Bissell included in the selling package
- Sturdy design and heavy duty machine (52 lbs.)
- 5 years limited warranty
Pros and Cons Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner
- The advantages of Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner Machine are that this machine can perform excellently.
- If you have a lot of thick carpets or you need to clean the carpet in high traffic zone, this commercial carpet cleaner is on of the best option.
- You need to consider the price because even after the discount, this carpet cleaner is also a bit expensive.
- Second, the machine is heavy duty so it is heavy too.
Top-rated carpet cleaner for pet owners (pet messes treatments)
If you are a pet owner, you will know it is very difficult to clean the carpet with pet messes and urine because the smell will not easily to go away after cleaning, and more worsening, the carpet will be stuck with a lot of pet hairs after use. To prevent hair clogging and to remove the pet urine smells completely, you should select the carpet cleaners designed for pet messes cleaning. Most of them will have a hair collector that will save your carpet cleaner from being damaged. Remember to use with pet cleaning formulas because they have enzymes that break down the urine complex, and the smell will be blown away.
Best rated carpet cleaner recommended for pet owners
If you have some dogs and cats in your apartment, sometimes they accidentally make the urine, feces on the carpet. These messes are more difficult to clean than food spillage because the urine will stick into the fibers, causing the smell to last for weeks if you do not treat properly. This BISSELL DeepClean Premier Pet Carpet Cleaner, 17N4 is the solution that will help you to clean your carpet very well, especially for the pet messes.
Unlike other upright carpet cleaners, this model is added with some functions such as heatwave technology to maintain the water temperature at optimum for cleaning and a pet hair collector that will filter the hair and keep in a basket so it won’t affect the brush or the hose.
Pros and cons of BISSELL DeepClean Premier Pet Carpet Cleaner, 17N4
- This BISSELL DeepClean Premier Pet Carpet Cleaner, 17N4 is designed for both normal cleaning and pet mess treatment. If you use a regular upright carpet cleaner for pet messes cleaning, the cleaning result will be lowered and the machine can be damaged due to hair clogging after using times.
- This upright carpet cleaner has 3-year warranty, which is longer than others so you can ensure the machine can work properly in long time (Bissell is better than Hoover in terms of warranty and customer support)
- You need to pay more $50 compared to regular upright carpet cleaner. However, considering of this exclusive feature and longer warranty time, it is worth the money.
New carpet cleaner on the market
Carpet cleaner for professional cleaning results, similar to Hoover Max Extract 60, 77
Rug Doctor is one of the leading manufacturers in cleaning industry with the longest history in the USA. This Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner is one of their innovation that is introduced recently, gaining a lot of public attention.
The Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner is an upright carpet cleaner with powerful deep cleaning activities. The machine can not only clean regular carpet but also carpet with high traffic, heavy soils and worst stain. This can be done because the Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner has a very strong motor power that can suck every dirt and water out of the carpet. The dual rotating brush will loosen the dirt and the motor will suck up to 75% of the water it sprays out. Therefore, your carpet is cleaner in a shorter time.
This model is comparable to Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro Carpet Deep Cleaner, FH50220 in terms of functions, efficiency, cleaning results and short carpet drying time.
Pros and cons of Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner
- This Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner can recover more water than other regular upright carpet cleaner, so your carpet will dry in a shorter time.
- The dirt can be cleaned with only 1 stroke, while with regular carpet cleaner, you might need to clean the same area for 2-3 strokes depending on the dirt level.
- The roller brush is very powerful that no machine can compare
- It is fully established so very easy to use
- The machine has collapsible handle so you can store conveniently
- The machine does not have heater to heat the water up. So if you want to use warm water for cleaning, you need to cook water before using.
Carpet cleaner for spot stain & upholstery cleaning, similar to Bissell SpotClean Professional
Appeared shortly on the portable carpet cleaner segment, this Rug Doctor Portable Spot Cleaner Machine possesses a lot of updating features that outrank other portable carpet cleaners on the market. The machine has a 10 amps motor which gives exceptional suction power, comparable to an upright carpet cleaner. Compared to others (a normal portable carpet cleaner only has 3 amps motor or 6 amps motor maximum), this design gives the machine unbeatable cleaning effectiveness.
Highlighting features of Rug Doctor Portable Spot Cleaner Machine
- Motorized brushes is used for better dirt extraction
- Lightweight (15 lbs.)
- Easy for moving around because it has 4 wheels. The wheels are also carpet friendly, it will not leave any mark on the carpet after traveling through.
- 2 tank design for easier filling and cleaning the tank
- Durable hose so you will never worry the hose will be broken by times.
- Ready to use as it is fully assembled.
Best carpet cleaner in range of $100
If you are on a tight budget, there are still a dozen of carpet cleaner about only $100 for you to choose. Most of the affordable carpet cleaners are portable or half-size, so there are aimed for spot, stain cleaning, upholstery cleaning and small area cleaning. Despite these carpet cleaners are so quite cheap, they are very popular and durable with proven tracking records.
You can read the full reviews of those model here.
How to buy the best carpet cleaner- the carpet cleaner buying guide 2017
Choosing a best carpet cleaner requires certain understanding on the machine specifications. In this buying guide, we will show you how to choose the best carpet cleaner that will fit to your budget and cleaning situation.
Consider of carpet cleaner price
A carpet cleaner on the market nowadays can be priced from $50-$400, depending on the design of the machine, the functions, the brands and other advanced technologies that a carpet cleaner can have. Typically, hand-held carpet cleaner range from $50-$100, a portable carpet cleaner is around $120, an upright carpet cleaner ranges $110-$250 and a commercial/ professional carpet cleaner ranges $250 upwards.
Hand-held carpet cleaners: are those with small size and battery use so you can bring around for cleaning small area. The Hand-held carpet cleaner is suitable for auto-detailing job mostly.
Portable carpet cleaner: the portable carpet cleaner is lightweight cleaning unit that is aimed to clean spot, spillage, stains, and upholstery. If you are dealing with spot cleaning mostly, a portable carpet cleaner will do the job perfectly.
Upright carpet cleaner: the upright carpet cleaner is designed to clean bigger space such as a room, walking zone, hotel, spot cleaning, stain cleaning pet mess treatment and more. An upright carpet cleaner one that is suitable for regular home use. Sometimes, an upright carpet cleaner can also clean well on other surfaces such as grouts and tiles.
Commercial carpet cleaner: the commercial carpet cleaner is designed to clean heavy traffic area, soiled area and spacious area. Recently due to the reduction in price, commercial carpet cleaner is also the choice of thousands of home users.
Consider the type of a carpet cleaner
As mentioned above, depending on your cleaning purpose you should choose the suitable carpet cleaner design. Users mostly choose either upright carpet cleaner or commercial carpet cleaner.
In the carpet cleaning industry, Bissell, Hoover, Rug Doctor and Dirt Devil are those famous brand that dominated the whole business. It cannot be clearly say which brand is better than others because they have their own unique selling points. For example, Bissell is adorable by the machine’s quality and customer services, Rug Doctor is aimed for workmanship and persistence, Hoover is loved by the cutting-edge technologies and lower prices. They all have their fan bases.
A lower amperage motor is often translated into lower suction ability, but this is not correct because the machine suction power will also depend on the design. However it is expected that a more powerful motor will perform better. As a general rules
Hand-held carpet cleaner and portable carpet cleaner will have lower motor power (from 3 amps to 6 amps generally), and an upright carpet cleaner will have a 9amps up to 12 amps.
Must-have features of a basic carpet cleaner
There are some basic functions and features that you need to look for when choosing a carpet cleaner than others. For example, a carpet cleaner should have rotating brush, dual water tank, hose and cleaning tools for customization. You should also need to notice the weight because some are heavier than others, and the warranty time. It should last for at least 1 year.
Should-have features of an advanced carpet cleaner
Depending on the model that a carpet cleaner may have features that let your cleaning time becomes less tedious and run faster with better cleaning level. These functions are: auto-mix detergent (that you do not need to mix the formula your own), water heating (that will warm up the water at optimum temperature), water warming (that will keep the water warm always during cleaning), and multiple cleaning modes (for different cleaning circumstances), and multiple surfaces cleaning…
Consider the ease of use
Some machines are ready to work after you open the package but some requires basic installation. If you are not a so mechanical person, it is better for you to choose fully assembled models.
Hopefully with the above buying tips, you can choose the best carpet cleaner for your using purpose. If you are still unsure, just check out the top rated carpet cleaner 2016-2017 to see and find out the best one.