The best carpet cleaner reviews 2016-2017
There are a lot of factors involved when choosing a perfect carpet cleaner for your cleaning purposes. Among hundreds of models available on the markets, finding the best carpet cleaner will become a cumbersome task because you have to understand the machine elements such as suction power, brush head design, water tank design, upholstery cleaning power, pet mess cleaning ability and so on. Therefore, we have analyze over 95 types of carpet cleaners and bring to you the carpet cleaner buying guide, hopefully to equip you enough information to get the best deal within the budget.
We appreciate your time of studying our buying guide and we realize that some of you may not have enough time to read and to research the market. Therefore we come up with a list of the best carpet cleaner based on our analysis and thousands customer reviews who have purchased the carpet cleaner.
The best carpet cleaner/carpet shampooer reviews for regular use
The Hoover FH50150 Carpet Basics Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Cleaner is the sell monster of Hoover brand, which has placed as No.1 Best Seller on Amazon (Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning Equipment) for consecutive years.
This Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150 is the best “All-in-one” carpet cleaner that stands as the best seller on Amazon for years, before the introducing of Rug Doctor Deep Cleaner into the market. This upright carpet cleaner is a high performing model that is suitable for casual carpet cleaning tasks, area and spot cleaning tasks, pet messes and upholstery cleaning.
- Affordable price than Rug Doctor Deep Cleaner
- Possess a powerful motor (10 amps), indicating the suction and cleaning power is extremely high.
- Lightweight (18.1 lbs, this is also one of the lightest upright carpet cleaner on the market)
- Easy to use and well designed
- Automatic detergent mixing tank included, so you just only have to poor the water and detergent into the tank, and the machine will do the mixing itself.
- Long power cord (20.ft), this carpet cleaning machine is very versatile to clean in big area.
- 2 year limited warranty time
- Other interesting features such as counter rotating brush heads, rinse/wash control switch, hand tools, upholstery tool and carpet fast drying time. Besides, the proven cleaning results of this Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150 can be seen from being the best seller for last few years.
- Compared with Rug Doctor Deep carpet cleaner, this model can function equally in medium dirt types, but the Rug Doctor model can even clean hard-to-clean spots and stains easier, while with this Hoover model, users need to clean 2-3 strokes on the stains to remove the stain completely. On the other side, Hoover model is more affordable than the Rug Doctor model.
Pros and Cons of Hoover FH50150 Carpet Basics Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Cleaner
The “all-in-one” upright carpet cleaner that works efficiently with affordable price
The sprayer sometimes delivers the cleaning detergent unevenly on the surface.
The Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner is one of the most robust and compact portable carpet cleaner on the market that delivers deep cleaning (not many portable carpet cleaning machine can do deep cleaning, but only surface cleaning) that will recover your carpet from tough spots, stains from carpets, stairs, upholstery and more. On amazon,this Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner is currently placed at No.2 Best seller of Carpet Cleaners category
This small but powerful carpet cleaner is designed as a single unit that is every easy to use therefore you do not need to worry about machine’s installations at all. Aimed for small area deep cleaning, the Bissell portable carpet cleaner comes along with a wide range of handtools, 3 inch tough stain brush (for small spot cleaning), 6 inch stair tool for stair and upholstery cleaning. If you are a pet owner, this Spotclean Pro will save your time from cleaning the pet messes and smells.
- The machine comes in a compact, fully established model so you do not need to do machinery installments at the beginning
- Long hose (5 flex hose) and long power cord, therefore you can bring this SpotClean carpet cleaner any place you want. Even cleaning inside the car, the machine is still fit and do a wonderful job
- Stair tools, spot removal tools and Deep cleaning formula (8 ounces) included in the selling package. The Bissell Professional Deep Cleaning Formula is one of the top cleaning products for tough spot removing as well as pet messes treatments. With 8 ounces of cleaning formula, you can use for about 4-5 cleaning times
- Bigger water tank size so you do not need to replace the water often
- 2 years limited warranty
- 17 pounds
Pros and Cons of Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner – Corded
The Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner is easy to use, robust, compact, easy to store and affordable, it has always been rated as one of the best portable carpet cleaner on the market, even it has been there for many years.
Like any portable carpet cleaner, the flex hose will accumulate the dirt over time. Therefore, you should clean the hose carefully. The remained dirt inside the hose can make it becoming fragile after some years.
If you are looking for an upright carpet cleaner that can deliver professional cleaning results as those from rental units with affordable price so you can save time and budget over years, this Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro Carpet Deep Cleaner, FH50220 is one the high-end upright carpet cleaner that will serve you perfectly. Currently this is the No.1 Best Seller on Amazon, commercial carpet cleaner directory. This upright carpet cleaner outruns other upright carpet cleaners because Hoover has optimized the machine for deep cleaning in a shorter time. The Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro Carpet Deep Cleaner, FH50220 is incorporated with new technologies and features such as:
- DualV Nozzle Technology (Hoover uses this new technology for MaxExtract line) enables the machine will recover more dirty water back to the water tank. Less water on the carpet, it will dry faster. Regarding carpet drying time, users claimed this Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro Carpet Deep Cleaner, FH50220 can let the carpet dry within 3-4 hours (normal upright carpet cleaner can take up to 8-2 hours)
- Pressurized edge to edge cleaning technology employs pressurized heated water to loosen the dirt easier. Normal upright carpet cleaner just only spray the detergent mix on the carpet, this machine is going to the higher level.
- The brush head is improved by using 60 counter rotating brush head. The spinning activities of a lot of brushes will contact with each carpet fiber so it will remove the dirt deeply
- Auto conversion tools will help you to adjust the carpet cleaner spraying or cleaning regime easily. This button is set at the fingertips.
- Smart water tank design. Like any new upright carpet cleaner on the market, this carpet cleaner is also use 2 tank system to store clean and dirty water separately so you can discharge dirty water without any hassle.
Pros and Cons of Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro Carpet Deep Cleaner, FH50220
The Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro Carpet Deep Cleaner, FH50220 deliver professional cleaning results with accepted price. The machine is made with premium plastic that won’t break or leak easily. The carpet drying time is speed up and the cleaning time will reduced due to large cleaning path. This commercial carpet cleaner is perhaps the best design of Hoover and later version of MaxExtract line is only modified a bit to target different end user’s need. This is also rated as one of the best carpet cleaner for pet messes treatment.
Buyers asked Hoover to have additional brush head for hard surface which they think will add more value to the machine.
Some users mentioned this carpet cleaner requires some basic installments before using.
The Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner Machine is the one that now you can see at rental units because this monster carpet cleaner is designed for deep cleaning, robust and persistent for years of wide area cleaning. Currently rated as No.3 Best seller on amazon, carpet cleaner directory and voted with the highest star (4.8 over 5.0), this deep carpet cleaner has now becoming one of the most adorable cleaning machine. The differences between Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner Machine and others is that it could clean thick, shaggy carpet deeply, while major carpet cleaners (upright version and commercial version may fail to clean such kind of shaggy carpet). So, if your floor is covered by loop carpet, uncut carpet or tile carpet, an upright carpet cleaner will do the job easily. On the other hands, if you floor is covered by shaggy carpet, hard surface carpet with higher traffic frequency, the Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner Machine will save your time and money in long terms.
- Clean faster and deeper than any carpet cleaner at rental units, claimed by Bissell.
- Rotating dirt-lifter powered brushes. Bissell uses a motor within the brush unit to enable deep cleaning by the suction power of the motor. Only this Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner Machine has the powered brush on the market so far.
- Big, adjustable water tank for big area cleaning without changing the water
- Long hose, long power cord and accessories (stain tools, upholstery tools) for optimal cleaning results at any surface.
- Easy to use as it is already established
- Professional Cleaning Formula from Bissell included in the selling package
- Sturdy design and heavy duty machine (52 lbs.)
- 5 years limited warranty
Pros and Cons of Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner Machine
The advantages of Bissell 86T3/86T3Q Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Carpet Cleaner Machine are that this machine can perform excellently. If you have a lot of thick carpets or you need to clean the carpet in high traffic zone, this commercial carpet cleaner is on of the best option.
You need to consider the price because even after discount, this carpet cleaner is also a bit expensive ($600 to $400 now, change can be made seasonally). Second, the machine is for heavy duty so it is heavy too.
Recommended for pet owners
If you have some dogs and cats in your apartment, sometimes they accidentally make the urine, feces on the carpet. These messes are more difficult to clean than food spillage because the urine will stick into the fibers, causing the smell to last for weeks if you do not treat properly. This BISSELL DeepClean Premier Pet Carpet Cleaner, 17N4 is the solution that will help you to clean your carpet very well, especially for the pet messes. Unlike other upright carpet cleaners, this model is added with some functions such as heatwave technology to maintain the water temperature at optimum for cleaning, or a pet hair collector that will filter the hair and keep in a basket so it won’t affect the brush or the hose.
Pros and cons of BISSELL DeepClean Premier Pet Carpet Cleaner, 17N4
This BISSELL DeepClean Premier Pet Carpet Cleaner, 17N4 is designed for both normal cleaning and pet mess treatment. If you use a regular upright carpet cleaner for pet messes cleaning, the cleaning result will be lowered and the machine can be damaged due to hair clogging after using times.
This upright carpet cleaner has 3 year warranty, which is longer than others so you can ensure the machine can work properly in long time (Bissell is better than Hoover in terms of warranty and customer support)
You need to pay more $50 compared to regular upright carpet cleaner. However, considering of this exclusive feature and longer warranty time, it is worth the money.
Rug Doctor is one of the leading manufacturers in cleaning industry with longest history in the USA. This Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner is one of their innovation that is introduced recently, gaining a lot of public attention. The Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner is an upright carpet cleaner with powerful deep cleaning activities. The machine can not only clean regular carpet, but also carpet with high traffic, heavy soils and worst stain. This can be done because the Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner has a very strong motor power that can suck every dirt and water out of the carpet. The dual rotating brush will loosen the dirt and the motor will suck up to 75% of the water it spray out. Therefore, your carpet is cleaner in a shorter time. This model is comparable to Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro Carpet Deep Cleaner, FH50220 in terms of functions, efficiency, cleaning results and short carpet drying time.
Pros and cons of Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner
This Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner can recover more water than other regular upright carpet cleaner, so your carpet will dry in a shorter time.
The dirt can be cleaned with only 1 stroke, while with regular carpet cleaner, you might need to clean the same area for 2-3 strokes depending on the dirt level.
The roller brush is very powerful that no machine can compare
It is fully established so very easy to use
The machine has collapsible handle so you can store conveniently
The machine does not have heater to heat the water up. So if you want to use warm water for cleaning, you need to cook water before using.
Appeared shortly on the portable carpet cleaner segment, this Rug Doctor Portable Spot Cleaner Machine possesses a lot of updating features that outranks other portable carpet cleaner on the market. The machine has a 10 amps motor which give exceptional suction power, comparable to an upright carpet cleaner. Compared to others (a normal portable carpet cleaner only has 3 amps motor or 6 amps motor maximum), this design gives the machine unbeatable cleaning effectiveness.
Motorized brushes is used for better dirt extraction
Lightweight (15 lbs.)
Easy for moving around because it has 4 wheels. The wheels are also carpet friendly, it will not leave any mark on the carpet after traveling through.
2 tank design for easier filling and cleaning the tank
Durable hose so you will never worry the hose will be broken by times.
Ready to use as it is fully assembled.
How to buy the best carpet cleaner- the carpet cleaner buying guide 2016-2017
Choosing a best carpet cleaner requires certain understanding on the machine specifications. In this buying guide, we will show you how to choose the best carpet cleaner that will fit to your budget and cleaning situation.
Consider of carpet cleaner price
A carpet cleaner on the market nowadays can be priced from $50-$400, depending on the design of the machine, the functions, the brands and other advanced technologies that a carpet cleaner can have. Typically, hand-held carpet cleaner range from $50-$100, a portable carpet cleaner is around $120, an upright carpet cleaner ranges $110-$250 and a commercial/ professional carpet cleaner ranges $250 upwards.
Hand-held carpet cleaners: are those with small size and battery use so you can bring around for cleaning small area. The Hand-held carpet cleaner is suitable for auto-detailing job mostly.
Portable carpet cleaner: the portable carpet cleaner is lightweight cleaning unit that is aimed to clean spot, spillage, stains, and upholstery. If you are dealing with spot cleaning mostly, a portable carpet cleaner will do the job perfectly.
Upright carpet cleaner: the upright carpet cleaner is designed to clean bigger space such as a room, walking zone, hotel, spot cleaning, stain cleaning pet mess treatment and more. An upright carpet cleaner one that is suitable for regular home use. Sometimes, an upright carpet cleaner can also clean well on other surfaces such as grouts and tiles.
Commercial carpet cleaner: the commercial carpet cleaner is designed to clean heavy traffic area, soiled area and spacious area. Recently due to the reduction in price, commercial carpet cleaner is also the choice of thousands of home users.
Consider the type of a carpet cleaner
As mentioned above, depending on your cleaning purpose you should choose the suitable carpet cleaner design. Users mostly choose either upright carpet cleaner or commercial carpet cleaner.
In the carpet cleaning industry, Bissell, Hoover, Rug Doctor and Dirt Devil are those famous brand that dominated the whole business. It cannot be clearly say which brand is better than others because they have their own unique selling points. For example, Bissell is adorable by the machine’s quality and customer services, Rug Doctor is aimed for workmanship and persistence, Hoover is loved by the cutting-edge technologies and lower prices. They all have their fan bases.
A lower amperage motor is often translated into lower suction ability, but this is not correct because the machine suction power will also depend on the design. However it is expected that a more powerful motor will perform better. As a general rules
Hand-held carpet cleaner and portable carpet cleaner will have lower motor power (from 3 amps to 6 amps generally), and an upright carpet cleaner will have a 9amps up to 12 amps.
Must-have features of a basic carpet cleaner
There are some basic functions and features that you need to look for when choosing a carpet cleaner than others. For example, a carpet cleaner should have rotating brush, dual water tank, hose and cleaning tools for customization. You should also need to notice the weight because some are heavier than others, and the warranty time. It should last for at least 1 year.
Should-have features of an advanced carpet cleaner
Depending on the model that a carpet cleaner may have features that let your cleaning time becomes less tedious and run faster with better cleaning level. These functions are: auto-mix detergent (that you do not need to mix the formula your own), water heating (that will warm up the water at optimum temperature), water warming (that will keep the water warm always during cleaning), and multiple cleaning modes (for different cleaning circumstances), and multiple surfaces cleaning…
Consider the ease of use
Some machines are ready to work after you open the package but some requires basic installation. If you are not a so mechanical person, it is better for you to choose fully assembled models.
Hopefully with the above buying tips, you can choose the best carpet cleaner for your using purpose. If you are still unsure, just check out the top rated carpet cleaner 2016-2017 to see and find out the best one.